Sometimes I get weird looks from people when I say that I cloth diaper. Most people think of the old fashion cloth diapers with big metal pins and funny plastic covers. But cloth diapers have really come a long way and it is a growing trend. There are several reasons why people are choosing cloth diapers over disposable.
- More economical. This was my number one reason for choosing cloth. I’ve heard it estimated that from birth to potty training you can spend $2,000 – $3,000 on disposable diapers verses $300 – $600 on cloth diapers.
- Less rashes. There are no super absorbent gels, dyes or perfumes to irritate the babies skin. Plus cloth diapers are more breathable.
- Greener. It is estimated that it will take 500 years for disposable diapers to decompose. The more you are reusing the less you are throwing away.
- Earlier potty training. Since cloth diapers feel wetter than disposables many people say they are able to potty train at a younger age.
- They are cute. There are lots of fun colors and prints to chose from!
I recently had a friend ask about cloth diapering so I typed up everything I knew for her. I’ve only been doing this for five months so I am certainly not an expert. But I figured that some of you may be interested this topic as well so I’ve decided to do a little series on cloth diapering over the next few days.